Sorry to have a public whinge, but I don’t have a therapist, so this is the next best thing
Most of the time I enjoy looking after Art News Blog, but sometimes it really gets to me and I struggle to log into Blogger! So, here’s ten things that I hate about having an art blog (there’s easily 100 things that I love about having a blog, but I feel like having a whinge today!)..
- Web Hosts – Easily the most annoying thing about having any website, not just a blog. Every time I find the perfect web hosting company I start recommending it to any one that asks. Then the web host company is bought by a larger a company and becomes USELESS! On the weekend my account was suspended by my current web host because of “the amount of CPU and/or memory resources used” which is a ridiculous excuse to try and make me upgrade to a more expensive plan. I won’t go into it further, but I’m looking for a new host.
- Comment Spam – Anything that looks the slightest bit spammy is deleted. It’s a daily job and I doubt that I miss any, so they waste my time and theirs.
- Stupid Kids and Retards – Related to comment spam; some comments are just rude and/or stupid. Any one can express any opinion they want, as long as they’re reasonably civil.
- Religious Nutters and Feminists – Some of the most offensive and rudest emails I have received have been from religious fanatics and feminist extremists. I used to take them personally, but I now understand that extremists of any kind are severely retarded, so all I can do is have sympathy for them.
- Hungry Beast – If you stop posting news, people stop coming. A blog is a hungry beast that is never satisfied.
- My Bad English – I’m often reminded that I should have paid more attention during English classes at school. Grammar isn’t my strongest trait.
- Value a Masterpiece for me – I used to reply politely to requests from people wanting me to value a print/poster/painting/drawing that their long lost relative left them, explaining that I don’t value artworks, but now I just delete them. I can’t remember telling anyone that I’m an art valuer.
- Sell a Masterpiece for me – Another bizarre request that I regularly get is to sell artworks. I have had requests to sell everything from a brick wall with a Banksy on it, emerging artists offering a percentage of anything I can sell, to Andy Warhol works. What if I did sell it and it’s fake?
- Rip Off Artists – Having a list of Rip Off Artists can make you a target for idiots.
- Sex is More Popular than Art – Why can’t art be as popular as sex? Art is an obscure niche compared to the popularity of sex. If I mention vaginas or sex there is always an increase in visitors for that day.