This news is three years late, but it’s better late than never. I saw a link to the Eternal Gaze movie over at Keith’s blog. It’s an animation of one of my favorite artists, Alberto Giacometti.
It was released in 2003 and has won a lot of awards, but I’ve never heard of it. There’s a trailer available on the Eternal Gaze website with details for getting hold of the DVD too.
The film maker says the film is a “computer-animated film about a real person in a real location, produced in a medium with unlimited possibilities. The screenplay was inspired by a combination of ideas and facts based on Giacometti’s real life stories – with a sensitive touch of fantasy added in“.
Here’s some art quotes by the Italian/Swiss master..
- The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.
- Artistically I am still a child with a whole life ahead of me to discover and create. I want something, but I won’t know what it is until I succeed in doing it.
- If the glass there in front of me astounds me more than all the glasses I’ve seen in painting, and if I even think that the greatest architectural wonder of the world couldn’t affect me more than this glass, it’s really not worth while going to the Indies to see some temple or other when I have as much and more right in front of me.
- All I can do will only ever be a faint image of what I see and my success will always be less than my failure or perhaps equal to the failure.
- Basically, I no longer work for anything but the sensation I have while working.
Alberto Giacometti Quotes