I really can’t believe that the end of the year is here already, but I can’t argue with the calendar. I think the earth might be spinning faster each year as the years seem to keep getting quicker!
Anyway, this is the time of the year that the media tries to sum up what has happened in the past 12 months. Rather than putting my own list together, I have put a list of lists together. Most are art lists, but some have very little to do with art..
Also: If you have posted an art list of some kind, mention it in the comments and I might add it to the list below.
- Jerry Saltz of NY Mag sums up the year in arts with a list of best ofs that include Best exhibition, Best retrospective, Best rediscoveries, and the Biggest stinker of the year (Richard Prince won the stinker award).
- The New York Times has put together a summary of the year in arts and culture, covering everything from the Sopranos, to Radiohead, to marketing art, and everything inbetween.
- Parade has a list of the quirkiest stories for the year, with everything from Spencer Tunick photographing naked people on a Swiss glacier, through to a 700 pound block of cheddar cheese sculpture of Mount Rushmore.
- Forbes put together a list of reports for collectors, which is mostly about looking forward to 2008, but it also talks about 2007.
- LakeTrees blog has put together a list of 101 artist blogs which is great if you have a few spare hours to browse.
- TrendHunter blog has put together a list of 20 modern art innovations for the year, which includes 3D illusion chalk drawings, human branding (ouch), sun burning tattoos, espresso art and more.