George Craige Art Scam?

I just received an email from George Craige gcraige108@yahoo.com and just assumed it was a scam (and am still 99.9% sure that it is), but how would he benefit by using a bank transfer for payment?
I understand that bank checks can be abused (see the previous art scammers post), but I thought a money transfer would of been a bit safer. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the “Telegraphic Bank Transfer” method that George is suggesting.

Have other artists been contacted by Mr Craige? Here’s the email I received from him.. (and sorry George if you really did want to buy the paintings, which I really doubt!).

Good day to you,

I visited your site and I saw these fascinating artworks and I found some interest in :-

1. (man walking oil canvas board s: 25x40cm)
2. (
fog over newcastle oil artists board s: 20x40cm)
3. (
portrait of a girl (triptych) oil canvas board s: 25x20cm x 3 (25x60cm)
4. (
newcastle view oil artists board s: 20x40cm)
5. (
istanbul clouds (Kizkulesi) acrylic on canvas board s: 20x25cm)

So , I will like to buy them for our new house in United Kingdom.

I must say you really doing a great job, I have already contacted a shipping company that will be shipping them along with our other house decorations. Our shipping company will Pick-Up these items once i pay you .

I will be paying you via Telegraphic Bank Transfer (CommonWealth Bank), Please let me know your mind about this sales and tell the the price for each? I will be looking forward to your response on how to proceed.

Regards,

George Craige gcraige108@yahoo.com

Comments

Ive received them just like this one. I doubt you have to worry too much about it being a real art buyer.

They prey on artists as they know we seek approval and are often more trusting, or dare I say, gullible.

2. Perhaps he really meant “bank check”. I’m not saying that his poor english is a give-away (as I also sell to foreign speaking countries), but it sets my alarm bells ringing. His english is actually quite good compared to most of the scam emails I receive.

Thanks for sharing.

3. A lot of artists on Wet Canvas in the biz section have been getting the same email, different name, but same format and same request, and same bad grammar. ;)

4. The check or transfer will be bigger than the agreed upon price. You’ll send “change”.

5. I agree about the bad English. This guy may not be as illiterate as the Nigerian Mafia, but his syntax gets my alarm bells ringing too.

My name is Yannis Stavrou and I am an artist, painter from Athens Greece. I have just received this mail from the same type…It’s definetely a scam.

Good day to you,

I visited your site and i saw these fascinating artworks and i found some interest in :-

1. (Springtime in Attica, oil on canvas, 30X40 cm)
    2. (Olive Grove I, oil on canvas, 50X60 cm)
    3. (Sailors on Blue Background, oil on canvas, 25X30 cm)

So , i will like to buy them for our new house in Nigeria.

I must say you really doing a great job ,I have already contacted a shipping company that will be shipping them along with our other house decorations. Our shipping company will Pick-Up these items once i pay you .

I will be paying you via Telegraphic Bank Transfer (National Bank), Please let me know your mind about this sales and tell the the price for each ? I will be looking forward to your response on how to proceed.

Regards,

George Craige.

7. This message was sent by Batyah (batyah_hanks@libero.it) via ArtWanted.com:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I got attracted to some of your creative artworks and i must commend you for a job well done.

There, i will like to know if these selected artworks are still available for sale.
    I will like to purchace “take out name” and “take out name” as part of my house decors in AMERICAN AND UNITED KINGDOM.

Kindly update me with their availability and their price excluding the shipping cost.
    I will be paying by the following, 1.Cheque( American or uk Cheque), 2.Traveller’s Cheque, 3.Electronics Transfer

I will look forward to hearing from you soon,

Best Regards,

Mrs. Batyah
    Part of a company on Alibaba.com- they have been banned from Artwanted.com and are trying to do a transaction with me sounds a lot like this George guy!!!!

8. I’ve received an email like this, too, and they sent me a cashier’s check for more than I asked for. My alarm bells went off with the first email, so I took out a P.O. box and didn’t give them my address or phone number. I’m not cashing the check.
    Hope this message finds you well ,I came across your web page while searching for good artworks and I will like to buy some of these creative artworks out of your stock.

Somes Sound ,Oatlands Garden and Glass and Egg

I will be happy to have these selected artworks in our new home.What are their prices exclusive of shipping cost? We are travelling from our Alabama home to our new apartment in Joannesburg, South Africa. Regarding payment,I will be happy to pay you with a Certified US Cashier Check. I will appreciate an earlier reply. Thanks.

I got it also, his name was ” Collin Williams “.

Someone mentioned art wanted. In my opinion they are more of scam that this clown. The message below is one that I got from http://www.artwanted.com after mentioning the review of their site on emptyeasel and the fact that I find it strange that they 1.) reply with an anonymous staff account. It is strange that members are not allowed to know who runs the site and who they are talking to. 2.) that they offer a printing service but do not let members know the printing company that they use or the lifespan of their prints (+50, +100, +200) and the UV protection of said prints.

So basically I was banned from forums because I wanted to know why their staff identity is anonymous and why they won’t reveal the printing company they work with. As an avid collector of prints I’d like to know that information. As a consumer I DESERVE that information.

I mentioned that maybe Artwanted owns their own printing company and that perhaps the site and sister sites have the sole purpose of generating business for that original business. The only thing I could find about the ownership of artwanted is a guy named Andy who has owned printing companies, but I could not confirm that and artwanted did not answer. I was shooting in the dark hoping to learn more before ordering prints from their site. Instead of answering my questions they banned me from responding on the forum or sending message, which means I can’t even write to them in-site for further information. I think that is all the answer I needed. Here is the message:

“Due to your recent message board posts, you have been banned from posting on our boards. You are allowed to continue to upload artwork, but not post messages.

Your comments on the boards are not only very negative toward ArtWanted.com, but spreading rumors about our site that are not true. We will not allow this to continue.

- ArtWanted.com Staff”

(note the anonymous staff once again!)

If my ‘rumors’ were not true why did they simply not answer my questions on the forum in order to correct me? Other members of the site started questioning them as well. So why did they not say, “Ok, this is the printing company we work with). UNLESS my assumptions have some truth to them.

I also find it funny that they claim that 10 to 100 prints are sold per day on the site, yet when you Google search ‘sold on artwanted.com’, ‘sold today on artwanted.com’, and so on you find very few people mentioning that they have sold anything.

This secrecy and fudged information is alarming because http://www.artwanted.com has raising money for charity lately and I find it very strange that they don’t allow people to know the names of the site maintainers.You decide the validity of this site.

For now, I will remain on http://www.deviantart.com and http://www.redbubble.com for my print needs and I am waiting for http://www.myartspace.com to offer printing services. These three sites let members know who they are communicating with and the printing companies involved. I believe all three have a page devoted to who their staff members are.

So why can’t http://www.artwanted.com do the same unless those names would expose the site for what it may very well be. Are they a printing company masking as a legit artist community? I can’t tell you because http://www.artwanted.com would not give me straight answers! Why hide that information? Why not let customers know where their prints are coming from? Why sign as anonymous staff when people have questions about the site? Even their email messages are anonymous. Why order from an art site with anonymous staff that are working with anonymous companies?

Beware – Robert Cole!

This same email art scam almost happened to me. The buyers name was Robert Cole. He gave me a Wisconsin address but said he’s moving to the UK. He had a yahoo address.

His email is robert.cole81@yahoo.com .

I received the same from
    Janet Moore
    jan.moo010@googlemail.com
    moving from New Jersey to Jo’burg, SA

Here is part of the email:

I am presently away in London for my twin sister’s wedding even though it comes at a time when i was preparing for a big move and also expecting a baby but it means so much to her. I should be back in few days.

Meanwhile,i will like you to forward your mailing address and phone number so i can inform my husband still shutling between our home in New Jersey and Jo’burg, SA on where to forward the payment . He has just been transfer to head the IT section of their head Office in Jo’burg.

I can also forward your contact info to the local cartage company that will be moving all our house decors so they can get in touch with you to arrange shipping details. They can arrange pick up FedEx pick up of the artworks from your studio.

I will look forward to hearing from you so i can know how best to proceed. Cheers.

1. […] also mentioned similar art scams here, art scams here, and art scams […]