Nicole Danes is a Scammer

I received a few emails and comments left on the art scammers list about Nicole Danes nicodanes@live.com

She/he must be hitting a lot of artists at the moment. So I’m just publishing this post so that her name and/or email address shows up on Google, letting artists know that she is a scammer.

Here’s an example of an email sent by it..

From: Nicole Danes nicodanes@live.com>
Date: May 7, 2009 10:45:58 AM EDT
To:
Subject: artworks purchase

Good day to you.

I am so excited that I came across of your work on internet search,I am interested in purchasing these creative artworks from you…………………

Construct Series 7,Construct Series 1,Slab,juncture and evanesce

Let me know their various prices.and how much discounts are you going to give?I will be happy to have these selected artworks hanged in our new home in South Africa. As well, I want you to take out the shipping cost.I have been in touch with a shipping firm that will be shipping other house decoratives.

We are traveling from our Dallas home to our new apartment as soon as possible.On Paying for the artworks,I will be glad to pay you with a Money Order or Cashier`s check in US funds that can be easily cashed at your local bank,please let me know on how to proceed for the payment of the creative artworks.

I will await your advise on how to proceed.Have a wonderful day.

Take care,
Nicole Danes

>> List of Cockroaches

Comments

1. “Take care” indeed!

The first line of the email is a dead giveaway. Still, folks are still getting caught by this sort of scam. So it’s well worth repeating the warning.

2. Yeah, I dont mind repeating myself if it stops another artist from being ripped off by these cockroaches. I regularly get thank you emails from artists saying that a post stopped them from being ripped off.

It kind of makes me feel useful..lol. Much of Art News Blog may just be rambling, but a small part of it is useful ;-)

The internet has allowed every man and his dog to call themselves an artist. Go to any one of the artist social networking sites or some artist forums to see what I mean. I’ve been horrified by the rubbish people upload, not to mention their total lack of humility or the bullying behavior that goes on. I hate to say this but maybe these scammers are a product of this desperate need to succeed. Being present as an artist on the internet comes with some responsibilities. So it goes both ways. From the wording in that email you’d have to be either stupid or desperate to respond.

4. Keep up the good work, your “scam alerts” are much appreciated.

5. I’m not sure what your point is Anon. Are you saying that because some artists are bullies or lack humility they deserve to be ripped off by these excuses for people?

And I have sold paintings to people with poor english skills. The bad english doesnt mean much as there’s plenty of legitimate non-english speaking art collectors around the world.

I wasn’t referring to poor english skills. The email would have had me hitting delete when he/she requested a discount. Nobody deserves to be ripped off but I’m not sure how savoury the internet is when it comes to trading art, let alone the ‘real world’ art market. I do believe there are a lot of artists out there who are eager enough to get ahead and who will do whatever it takes to do that. Glowing praise from a potential buyer may cloud their judgments. Being ripped off may be the price some have to pay. Scammers can see it a mile off. Then again, yes, some people are just stupid and, while they don’t deserve it, unfortunately it happens. I guess I’m not sure why you seem so outraged that these scammers exist. Yes it’s really shitty, but so is, for example, the lesser known unscrupulous dealings going on for some of our indigenous artists.

7. Hey! I dont ramble! Well, I do, but at least dont rip off the innocent. This is a con job, and illegal. But there are ego driven sales pitches out there that are created by so many desperate artistes tying to get in print. Just got a post offering a two page spreaad in a glossy mag about Great Artists. For only $1,350. and you know some will do it.

Nothing criminal there, but still a rip off, its vanity press. But created by demand. One is born every minute you know. And anonymous being dismayed by the huge volume of artistic crap by those without any sense of constructive self criticism, humility, knowledge of art and true artists, driven by childish exhibtionism IS overhelming. One can never find the needle in this humongous haystack. It again comes down to marketing. Who does the best wins.

I have no faith in the internet helping art achieve its original and on going Purpose. It doesnt, perhaps the demand isnt there anymore, and been replaced with watching sports. Which I do find far more interesting, difficult, dramatic, passionate and relevant to mankind than what i see in art these days.

oh, there I go, rambling again, sorry.

art collegia delenda est

8. I was talking about my rambling Donald, but yeah you do too sometimes :-P

Anonymous, Im not necessarily outraged that scammers exist, I’m just alerting artists that are new to the internet about these scum. I have my eyes wide open and don’t think that all people are cute and cuddly. A lot of artists are naive and trusting though, so theyre easy targets. Being naive and trusting arent necessarily bad qualities, they just don’t do the artist any favors in a dog eat dog world.

Also, I think the internet is GREAT for artists and collectors. I hear more good stories about the internet than bad stories.

I’m not selling paintings at the moment but I have sold paintings in countries throughout Europe and in states throughout America because of the internet.

A lot of galleries find artists on the internet too, which puts them into brick and mortar galleries that would have never been exposed to if it wasnt for the internet.

I have also bought paintings from artists that I would have never heard of if it wasnt for the internet.

The internet is the best thing artists have been given since paint brushes.

I can agree with most of what you say and I guess it all comes down to a person’s expectation of what they want to get out of the internet as a tool for promoting their art. Out of interest, can you name some examples of people who have been approached by galleries via the internet? I’m hoping you mean reputable galleries; not cafe style or vanity galleries.

10. I have been approached by a decent gallery here in Australia, a few smaller galleries that I hadnt heard of, and of course a bunch of vanity galleries that just want your money. And Im not even trying to exhibit or sell anything as I chose not to exhibit or sell anything for a few years or more.

A fellow Australian artist and friend is now exhibiting in Dallas, Texas and in Sydney, Australia because of the Internet.

If youre interested in selling work and arent afraid of learning a few marketing skills, it’s very possible to make a living selling only online.

Thank you for your efforts to protect the artist from parasites such as these.

I just received the exact message from “Nicole”. I knew immediately it was a scam, but it is gratifying to see that already warnings about her are posted. Keep it up!!!

I recieved the same message, only listing the names of some of my paintings. I too thought it was a scam, googled her name and found this – thanks to you all for posting about her, Laurie

14. We just got the same message from “Marge Westerman” (in case anyone tries to search for her).