Most of the artists I know see reality in different ways to normal people. Their feet don’t seem to touch the ground when they walk and they often bump into real things as their head is usually in the clouds. There are exceptions, but reality usually makes artists uncomfortable.
Sylvia White recently published an interesting article called “5 Facts Artists Have To Face To Succeed In Business”. She calls it her cold water splash in the face for artists. Here’s the 5 points..
- You will not get “discovered.”
- You will not find a gallery that “understands your work” and feels as passionately about it as you do.
- No matter how original you think your work is, it has been done before.
- Just because your work looks just like Jackson Pollock, (or, fill in the blank) doesn’t mean it’s as good, or that you can price it the same.
- You will not be able to make a living off the sale of your work.
Read the full article over at Art Advice (site no longer up, but the information above is still valid)