That Ain’t Shock Art, This is Shock Art! – Alexander Brener

Arts editor Tom from Spoonfed in the UK recently went to a lecture at the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London to hear a talk called “Violence to Endurance: Extreme Curating.”

I’ll let him explain what happened during the lecture..
“Periodically they are interrupted by a 50-year old man with a thick Russian accent saying ‘Bullshit, this is not shocking.’ Then, this man stands up and walks to the front of the room (it’s not far – he’s sitting on the front row). He undoes his belt, drops his trousers and takes a shit into his own hand. He does his trousers and belt up, walks up to the man in the centre of the panel and deposits the shit in his glass. He then sits back down, a slight look of triumph on his face.” Continue reading his report over at Spoonfed here.

Artists are a funny breed! It reminds me of a story that an art teacher told me years ago, where an artist cut off his own penis on stage and died. I’m not sure if it was true or not, but I thought it was funny at the time.

Anyway, the artist that took a shit on stage and dumped it in the speaker’s glass was the Russian performance artist Alexander Brener. Brener is famous for shitting in front of a Vincent van Gogh painting at the Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow and for painting a dollar sign on a Kazimir Malevich painting (which he spent time in prison for).

He’s not some one I would take to an exhibition. If he’s not shitting in front of paintings, he’s yelling at them naked. I don’t know what he’s saying to them in the video below, but it would be a little distracting if you was actually interested in looking at the art on the walls ;-)

Comments

1. hum!

no further comment!
    wait, is this shit propaganda!

You see the word artist has been expanded to include so much more. Like exhibitionists, narcissists, and sociopaths.
    You are who you hang with.

Good morning.

ACDE!

3. If he was wearing a Sarah Palin t shirt while taking a shit on stage it might be propaganda.. it would be a wonderful message too..lol.

The message would be even less subtle if he had a McPalin shirt on and took a dump on a world globe or the US flag. Actually I think I’ll perform that one if she wins the election :-O

The more I hear about that woman the scarier she gets.

I learnt a new word from you today too Corrine: flexitarian. I try to be one as I’m an animal/nature lover, but why does meat have to smell so bloody good?

Donald, I thought you might like Alexander Brener.

4. especially when it is grilling on the barbie.

Hey at least Palin dresses nice ;)

Oh, come on now, my aussie son, you cant be going there. My boy is an officer in the US Navy, thems fightin words, desecrating on old glory. Well, not really, its just a symbol, dont take it that serious, but gotta put up a brave front. Thats what America does. While all insecure and crazy on the inside. Frontin takes alot of energy. And takes its toll.

Now, if this guy had done that at the Hirst auction, THEN I would love it, as that would be making a statement. But would be about the buyers even more than the “Serrano’ being sold.

By the way, where the hell was PETA wehen you really needed them?

ACDE

6. lol donald, what makes you think artists being exhibitionists, narcissists and sociopaths is new ;)

7. I cant think of a great artist that wasnt a sociopath or narcissist..lol.. how sad is that?

And yeah, I have never been able to figure out this flag worshipping business Donald. I think I’m more than a flag or country, so I couldnt care less how many Aussie flags burn. I would be concerned about the pollution, but I wouldnt feel it was an attack on me as a person.

Hopefully I wont have to offend any one though as America is tired of retards in the oval office too.. right?

Its not, but they certainly have become the art form of choice. And usually had some art ability to go with it. In our media electronic age, the fifteen minutes of fame favors the insane. Especially those who can market it. Though most are just spoiled, and not crazy at all. Just in need of a little attention, momma didnt give them enough love.

Guess I am on my way to being an artist, huh? Takes a crazy to know a crazy, but then, most of these children are just trying to APPEAR to be crazy, they dont have the juevos to really put themselves on the line and go nuts. Takes commitment, and you know thats the last thing in the world an art school grad has. They committed me long ago.

ACDE!

I wish I was funny. I could come up with a book of art school grad jokes. How many art students does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Really, how many, I dont know.

ACDE

11. Writing from a padded cell Donald? lol

Here’s a quote from Robin Williams..

“You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.”

and..

“We’re all worms, but I do believe I’m a glowworm.”

Maybe retards will be the next wave in art. They are already in the oval office. Oh, wait, art schools already produce them in droves, my bad. HaHa!!!
    I know, no sense of humor, hear that from my kids all the time.
    Sigh. ACDE

13. I do believe that everyone has a right to claim they are an artist, but I will say that there is still a big difference between good art and bad art. This, in my opinion is bad art. The reasons why being, it is not original (Piero Manzoni shit for art in the 1960s), it is so distracting and disturbing that most people will not stay to even try and think of what the point of the act might be, and I think it is all done because of a huge ego and I don’t believe that is good art. Just my humble opinion. Perhaps the point of the work is to get people to scoff to make them realize something about themselves. I just don’t see it happening because most people will concentrate on the artist (because of the craziness of the act) rather than look inside themselves. Thanks for the post, gave me a good laugh and is still kind of creeping me out.

He’s saying: “Why I was not invited to participate this exhibition” Many times…

15. Donald "brener" Frazell says:

That would make sense. Which is unusual for an artist, so give the naked stocking guy credit.

And yeah, I am locked away in my cell, its called my job. Grrrrrr.

And really I always thought sociopaths, narcissists and exhibitionists were actors. I see them all the time up in WeHo. I guess after peformance art, that includes everyone.

Why was I not invited to a beach in the Caribean?! Over and over and over. Grrrrrr

16. Donald "brener" Frazell says:

And yeah, I am locked away in my cell, its called my job. Grrrrrr.

17. Aha, I was wondering what he was saying. It’s a disturbing performance.

Donald, youre probably so busy at work today because you have spent the week stirring up trouble on art blogs :-P

This is true. Winkleman hates me, which is fine. And ArtFag, which is a girl, go figure, has forgiven me. Love/hate thing I think. All in a days work for a Troll.

Call it a gift.
    ACDE!

19. I wonder what he does for an encore.

can anyone translate his outbursts/?
    I would really like to know what he is saying.

21. A comment above says that he is saying something like, Why wasn’t I invited to participate in this exhibition?

22. Being an art student myself and studying art seriously, with then intent of pursuing it as a career-’shock art’ never ceases to amaze me. I honestly do feel that there is a lot more going on with the creater of the piece (if it can be called that) I feel that ‘shock art’ is the expression of a more problematic, attention seeking, negative side of the artists personality. Perhaps for some it really is JUST a way to grab attention.
    Attention isn’t supposed to be bought; like respect, it is earned.

This however, is not to say that the worl of art has not moved beyond the canvas, into installations, performance art and various 3D pieces; the difference is,it is done with good taste.

Certain things deserve to stay in the bathroom.

If he was wearing an OBAMA shirt, took it off, and shit on it. then it would be propaganda….wonderful message,,

HILARIOUSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!