Wow, that year was a fast one. I’m now convinced that as we get older, time speeds up. I remember back in school, many years ago, the days used to take forever. I used to almost beg time to speed up so I could get home and do whatever it was that I did as a kid. Now I’m wishing it would slow down!
Anyway, a lot of blogs and news sites seem to be reviewing the year that was, so I thought I should do something too. It’s also a good excuse to post something as I have been in full holiday mode lately.
Here’s some posts of interest from the year of 2006.
- The Triumph of Painting – Saatchi Collection – Charles Saatchi declared that painting is not dead!
- Child Prodigies – A few kids holding a paintbrush made it big.
- Post Secret Book – The blog of secrets became a book.
- Muslim Cartoon Controversy – The world became way too serious.
- Helen Frankenthaler with Gum – A piece of chewing gum made worldwide headlines.
- More on Thomas Kinkade – The painter of light became a few shades darker.
- Tom Cruise and South Park – Tom Cruise gets weirder each year.
- Damien Hirst’s New Shark – Damien Hirst started repeating himself.
- Most Expensive British Painting by JMW Turner – Plenty of money was spent on paintings worldwide.
- Painting from Photographs – We debated whether or not painters should use photographs.
- Joan Miro and Copyright Insanity – Google was told to take down their Miro doodle.
- Most Expensive Australian Painting – John Brack – More money and art.
- Download Google Earth – Google changed the way we see earth.
- Artist Makes $25,000 on eBay – Artists can now live without art galleries.
- Karel Appel Dies at 85 – Another big artist moves on.
- Most Expensive Painting by Gustav Klimt – $135 million dollar record for a painting!
- ArtNewsBlog in the Artist’s Magazine – Two minutes of fame for ANB!
- Anatomy, Art, and Life – I saw my first body cut up.
- Photoshop Renaissance at Worth1000.com – Photoshoppers having fun.
- Shit Art – Cloaca Machine – Shit was big for collectors of it.
- Selling Art Online – More artists selling paintings online.
- The Scream Returned – Edvard Munch’s famous painting The Scream returned.
- Hitler Paintings Auction – People bought paintings that may have been by a dictator.
- Texas Art Teacher Sacked Over Nudes – Like I said before, it was a year of taking things too seriously.
- Steve Wynn Elbows a Picasso – And misses out on what was to be a record price for a painting.
- Free Hugs – The world doesnt hug enough!
- Damien Hirst Out of Ideas – Jonathon Jones makes it official.
- Banksy does Kate Moss – Banksy got plenty of media attention.
- Record Price for Jackson Pollock Painting – More money, more money.
- Big Numbers at Big Auction Houses – It was a year of big money.
- OJ Simpson Book Burning – tasteless book of the year award would have went to “If I Did It”
- 50 Works of Art to See Before You Die – The building of a list of works to see (If this hasn’t been made into a book yet, I’m sure it will be).
- Grow Your Own Furniture – Furniture builders have been put out of work by mother nature.
- Lost in Byron Bay + Photos – I run away to paradise and came back.
I hope everyone has an amazing 2007.